What happened to Captain's?

 



Captains Bakery Jamaica has been one of the most prominent Jamaican owned Food and Beverage industry brands for as long as I can remember.


But what has happened to Captains Bakery Jamaica? The Fritter Queen aka Ms MAE of MAE Creative Consultancy services approached the Head Office location in Crossroads Jamaica, some years ago now. The FREE introductory consultation, that I offered was before the Covid Pandemic and subsequent recession made business even more difficult for everyone.  I was aware that Captain Burrell the Founder and Owner of Captains Bakery and Grill had only recently passed on in 2017, and that the company was probably still in the midst of dealing with the administration of his assets.


Still after some years had passed the Corona pandemic then reduced many businesses to minimizing their service out put. Again I tried to make contact with them, particularly when I saw the state of the Ocho Rios branch, which according to details in the press was only opened by Mr Burrell in 2010. Its unfortunate to see this branch of our National favourite Brand of Bread, has reclined into a completely dilapidated state. 


This is a link to a story that was printed in the Gleaner when this branch first opened in 2010.



In my Business professional opinion, I know that they still have a huge amount of customers that loyally support them, by purchasing their bread from the islands favorite bakery. Especially at Easter season and Christmas time their breads, as well as rolls, bulla and Christmas cake is very much sought after.  Still the product and service offering, as well as the aesthetic appearance of some of their outlets where I have visited, is really in dire need of refreshing. After all we want to appropriately honor and preserve the memory of one of Jamaica's most legendary business leaders and personalities.



My initial attempt to make contact through a very nice lady who is a staff member at the Head Office location was not perhaps at the best timing. She explained to me that the product & service offering at the various locations varied considerably;that different branches don’t all have the same capacities, as they don't all serve food and some are only operated as Bakeries." Some of the larger branches indeed have lunch/dinner menus, including some of the most popular traditional Jamaican menu items, such as Oxtail & Beans, Curry Goat, Jerk Chicken and Baked or Fried chicken, which is pretty good in comparison to their main competitors. As stated already this was in 2018 and it had been less than a year since the owner himself, Mr Horace Burrell had unfortunately passed away. Still the initiative to introduce myself was provoked by a very negative experience, that I chose to respond to in the most professional and positive manner that I could. Giving consideration to the fact that the company was itself going through a transition as the owner had quite recently deceased! 



This does not negate the fact that I still have a right to assert my Consumer rights and to request for redress or for any serious enough issue to be addressed. The issue with the services at that particular location was something that I had observed on more than one instance. My attempt to bring these issues to the attention of Management could have been much better received. As I also have the right as a Freelance Creative, Business Professional consultant who specializes in Marketing and Promotion of products and services for businesses. To approach a potential client with my business proposition, which is also not only an entitlement, a necessity in order for my business to continue to develop and even to thrive!



I do not wish to expose the issues or to use this platform to provide a negative commentary or complaint, although I could do. As the treatment that I received that prompted my response was so negative that it would be warranted and very fair for me to highlight this negative experience. Still I would like to encourage those persons who are readers of this blog, to comment and to support this initiative. As well as to also exercise their rights as consumers. Especially, if in fact they are Jamaicans who live in, or travel to Jamaica and visit Captains Bakery often enough. I would like them to join me in demanding better standards, for ourselves and for Mr Horace "Captain" Burrell himself and for all of the loyal patrons who would prefer to support this brand over their other competitors. 



This is not 'just about the BREAD', but also about how does the packaging look, the atmosphere and the ambiance of the locations.  The colour scheme and design has been the same since the inception.  Is there anyone else that thinks that Captain's Bakery should be honored and preserved and is deserving of a modernizing, effort to re-brand or at least refurbish the more prominent branches. PLEASE if anyone is in doubt about the validity of this post; visit Ocho Rios branch and take a look at the outside of the location. The Signature Captains tower, if it hasn't been changed in this last few months and the sign is still looking like its about to fall apart. PLEASE do respect the brand, the business and Captain Burrell himself by demanding something BETTER! 



ALL Genuine inquiries for further details or PRESS/PR related questions should be emailed to msamediae@gmail.com 


~R.E.S.P.E.C.T 

Ms MAE

MAE Creative Services LTD.


Comments

Popular Posts