Gourmet for JA$100 - Patties & Hot Dog Fritters! (Part 5)


The Fritter Queen strikes again!..

Its been a while since I have posted on THIS blog and its been a while since I have updated the Gourmet for JA$100 feature. I have been experimenting as usual in the kitchen, still due to issues with equipment, unfortunately my experimenting has been limited!

I'm also noticing that it is getting increasingly difficult to find anything really to cook with just JA$100 it really is challenging to find a meal for one, that can be made effectively with this budget. In fact in my recent research that i'm doing, for an upcoming feature on the world famous Jamaican Pattie, I'm realising that during my own lifetime and memories of eating patties, that the price has increased from maybe $30-50 at one time, to now on average $150 for a Pattie. So the original Gourmet food snack, the Jamaican Pattie can no longer be found for $100 Jamaican. Still how much does it cost to actually create a patty at home. The Fritter Queen will investigate, whilst also tasting and sampling the Patties that are currently on offer in Jamaica, comparing the larger producers with some of the finest smaller bakeries, producing this scrumptious, pastry delight.

Whilst pondering on this, I started thinking about the possibility of creating some kind of award for this most regal of pastries. As I think internationally it has really helped to promote brand Jamaica and our culinary prowess on an global scale, in a very accessible way. In fact Jamaican patties are available in most Supermarket retailers in the UK and US markets. Currently the Jamaican Pattie is sold for 85p in Tesco supermarket, which is the equivalent to exactly $150 Jamaican dollars. So you see the price for a Pattie here and there is actually the same. But is this really fair, that we are paying a premium price for our own gourmet foods?



So anyway getting back to THIS post, I have created a new Fritter delight, the Fritter Hot Dog, which is basically a savory fritter/pancake, with a Chicken sausage (or sausage of your choice) encased in between the folded fritter, with onions and tomato sauce/mustard or sauces of your choice!

I also fried a battered sausage on the side just for brawta!.. and to satisfy my British/Jamaican palette with memories of the UK Chip Shop battered sausage experience. Similar to an American Corn dog, I guess would be the closest comparison in US terms.



Until next time.. be safe and happy frittering!

My own PHOTOS TO be added when possible!

Comments

Popular Posts