Gourmet for JA $100 - Onion Rings (Part 4)


If you don't love Onion Rings then you don't make sense to me!

Wow - I didn't realize how simple and easy it was to make onion rings! I have always loved Onion Rings and for an occasional treat I buy them as a snack or side dish to add to or accompany a Gourmet Burger, Chicken and Fries, Pizza or even Fish and Chips.


The indian version of this is even more tantalizing, with the addition of spices, pepper and cumin, seeds etc the spicy "Pakora" style fried onions, potatoes and vegetable combination, brings the vegetables to life in a, potent, amazing incarnation of flavor.

 Click on image for link to this recipe

In fact I think anything fried in batter tastes awesome - within reason of course! I'm not a lover of oysters - however I think I should try them deep fried in batter at least once!

Still I am an avid lover of fried food, as unhealthy as it can be, anything fried, especially fries of any kind, traditional potato, sweet potato, yam and any other variety. Or even croquette, hash brown, fritters (as you all already know), potato cakes even, fishcakes, fried fish crispy and salty, or battered, shrimp, calamari rings are heavenly when freshly fried and look very similar to these onion rings from a far! And of course everyone's favorite fried cuisine, perfectly seasoned and floured or battered fried chicken. Which can be found in various versions and varieties in, I would guess, every country in the world, served with the infamous french fry.

When frying I do practice healthy habits of draining excess and using less oil and improve nutritional value by choosing the right fats to fry with. Coconut oil, Olive oil preferably cold-pressed, extra virgin varieties and Sesame oil for stir frying. This really makes a difference to both the taste and health factors.

These onion rings are made simply with just a few ingredients and really satisfied my cravings..


Onion sliced in thick rings and dipped into Batter consisting of:

Flour
Cornmeal (mix about 2 parts Flour to 1 part Cornmeal)
Salt
Raising Agent (Baking powder)
Oil for frying
(Paper towels to drain excess oil)

Served with ketchup/mayo or any sauces/dips of your choice! They are easily made in a matter of minutes and are simply delicious...


Comments

Popular Posts